Wednesday, August 1, 2012

This is a little post I did for friends over at Swans Island Blankets along with my friend Annemarie who I have worked with for the past 2 and a half years over at Salt Water Farm.  We each spoke about what inspires us in the spring time...


French Breakfast Radishes
Spring time for me equals French breakfast radishes.  They are one of the first fresh tastes to come out of my garden.  Don't get me wrong:  I adore the carrots and sweet parsnips that I've been able to dig up since the ground has softened, but that crisp tang of the first radish that doesn't even make it up to the house, dirt rubbed off on my jeans and crunch between my teeth, is sublime.  Once the initial ecstasy wears off I will give them a proper wash, shave them thin on a mandolin I bought for twelve bucks at the Sun Market in Portland.  Then I'll chop up some parsley, crumble a little feta, zest and squeeze a lemon into a bowl.  A couple solid splashes of olive oil, pinch of sea salt, fresh ground pepper — toss it all together and eat with a nice warm buttered toast.  Heaven to munch that on the front porch in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment